- Recommended Books on Impressionism and the French Impressionists by Shelley Esaak
- Mauclair, Camille; P. G. Konady, trans.
- Nochlin, Linda (ed.). Impressionism and Post-Impressionism 1874-1904: Sources and Documents.
- Rewald, John. History of Impressionism. New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1973 (4th rev. ed.).
First published in 1946, this is the classic academic text on Impressionism. Nearly encyclopedic in scope, it is worth owning for its bibliography alone.
- White, Harrison C., & Cynthia A. White.
Canvases and Careers: Institutional Change in the French Painting World.
Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1993 (Reprint ed.).
The original edition, published in 1965, was a groundbreaking survey covering how the Académie des Beaux Arts lost its power to individual French artists, artist groups, dealers and critics in 19th-century Paris. Still fresh today, the reprint edition includes an afterword containing more recent scholarship.