About Me

My photo
Retired and enjoying my free time to paint. I love the French Impressionism era. Monet, Renoir, Bazille and Manet are some of my favorites.

Followers

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Claude Monet

Haystacks (Effect of Snow and Sun), 1891
Metropolitan Museum of Art New York City
(click image to enlarge)

Between summer 1890 and winder 1891 Monet executed about thirty paintings of the haystacks in a field near his house at Giverny.  In the midst of this effort, he wrote to the critic Gustave Geoffroy:
I am working very hard, struggling with a series of different effects (haystacks), but at this season the sun sets so fast I cannot follow it...The more I continue, the more I see that a great deal of work is necessary in order to succeed in rendering what I seek."  Although Monet had painted multiple versions of a single subject earlier, Haystacks was the first group that he exhibited as a series; in 1891, fifteen were shown at the Galerie Durand-Ruel in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment